Thursday 9 May 2013

I Used to Always Book Early But Lately...

I’ve always thought that with airline reservations, the earlier the better. As soon as I’ve got my travel dates set I’ve always booked my airline tickets asap. I’ve always believed that the further out you booked, the better the rate. I thought the longer I left it the higher the price would be. Or I wouldn’t get a ticket at all.

I still think there are advantages to booking early but lately I’ve really been wondering if I should have waited for last minute deals!

For instance, I confirmed a trip to London, UK a few weeks ago. I checked Air Canada and British Airways for fun, knowing their fares would be much higher, then booked on Air Transat which was hundreds less.

Today I get an email from Trip Advisor with an update on the routes I’m “watching” there. According to them, I could book on Transat for a couple hundred less if I booked now: $879 vs $1166.

I dunno. I think it could just as easily have gone the other way. Transat could have sold out and I could have been forced to fly BA for $1600. Just one of traveling’s many gambles I guess.

How far ahead do YOU book? Why?!

What’s the best deal you ever got by waiting until the last minute?  


The Travelin' Man

1 comment:

  1. Just got another update from TripAdvisor. If I could leave on Saturday instead of a 2 weeks from now I could have saved $250 by waiting until now to book.

    Since the company is paying this time I'm just as glad to have had flights arranged and guaranteed long ago. If I was doing a budget holiday I really think I'd try to be spontaneous and book last minute! Tell me about your best last minute deal ever!

    ReplyDelete