Thursday 21 March 2013

Viva Barcelona!

A friend of mine just published an article about Barcelona and with the sun pouring into my own office this morning it's hard not to daydream a bit about that beautiful Mediterranean city. Sure, it's a city of thieves. (OK, not everyone's a thief of course, but everyone that goes there comes home with a pick pocket story!)  It's also one of the most beautiful and architecurally unique places in Europe. In the world!  The whole city is like it came from the imagination of the incredible Catalan designer, Antoine Gaudi. Oh, right -- it did!

Central Barcelona is like... Paris, but in a kinda melted dali-esque art deco kinda way.  These photos don't do it justice -- you should go!

I got lucky and found myself in a great little hotel around the corner from Casa Batllo (left) a really over-the-top Gaudi house in a posh Rodeo Drive type shopping area (right). (Yes, the Spanish love chic, colourful clothes!)















This is me in the neighbourhood where I found myself (while supposedly attending a business conference at Porto Olimpico)

La Ramblas is a busy, colourful boulevard running through the best parts of the city. Walk from one end to the other! Have some sangria and paella! (I'll have to write a whole article on the food in Barcelona sometime -- for now I just have one word: TAPAS!






Porto Olimpico is a modern tourist area built for the Olympics awhile back, now a big conference area.Excellent place to get your pocket picked  ;)  Lots of hip patio bars along the beach.














Have YOU been to Barcelona? What did you think? And tips for travellers?! Please comment below...







1 comment:

  1. Great article Larry, and love the blog! Am excited to read about more of your travel journeys - especially Costa Rica!! Next time you come to Barca I would love to show you some of my fave hidden spots :)

    ReplyDelete